19.11.11

BBC 4 World Cinema Awards 2011



I had the luck to be invited by one of my dear friends to the BBC World Cinema Awards the other night. The event took place at the BFI and it will be televised tomorrow.
The nominees included productions from all around the world. From Almodovar to Iranian cinema, the nominees were varied and different. Jonathan Ross as a host is great, but hey he is really tall. I was impressed by his height, I thought he was small.. like a smartie.

The winner this year is called 'A Separation', and it is a beautiful Iranian movie, filmed like a documentary. I don't want to say much about the plot, but I highly recommend it. It evokes a lot of emotion, and it is definitely a bit controversial.

To be honest, I wish the BBC invested a bit more budget on these kind of award ceremonies. The BBC has always been known for being extremely culturally aware, but on this occasion I felt as if they just did not care about it at all. All the movies screened seemed to be worth watching, at least most of them. However, it is sad to see how events like these are put in the corner, while the Twilight premieres gather thousands..
What a shame..


Congratulations however to the winner and to French actress Isabelle Huppert, who won the world cinema achievement award!

Kudos! xx.. not you BBC!

No comments:

Post a Comment