10.12.12

Death: A Self Portrait

My Xmas gifts are under the tree but my bank account is under water.. sigh..
I have spent every last penny on gifts for my loved ones, so now I am bored. Being poor in London can be a struggle, but being my savvy self I have come up with solutions. Free solutions.
Last week I went to the Wellcome Collection you know, the place for the incurably curious in Euston Road.. They are currently showcasing a beautiful exhibition about Death and I had to check it out.

Death might not sound like a very nice topic for 'xmas' times, but in my opinion, it is good to educate others on how the world deals with death. Art can sometimes be the most powerful tool to get through to someone, so I instantly gave in and loved every bit of it.

This Richard Harris collection has more than 1500 artworks and artefacts related to death. Paintings, prints and sculptures from Mexico, Japan, Tibet, and India are on display for us to see for free!
My favourite are the papier-mache sculptures from Mexico. It reminded me of home and how we celebrate Day of the Dead..

The free exhibition runs until February 24th, 2013.
Buy the book if you have the chance, it makes a great coffee table book!









xx

D :)

No comments:

Post a Comment